Sunday, February 17, 2013

Why I Don't Bake

I've been itching to try this recipe for sticky buns so I decided to give it a go this morning.  Some yummy, fresh baked-out-of-the-oven sticky, sweet buns with a nice hot cup of coffee....mmmmm.  If you know me you know that I'm not the best at baking things from scratch.  I've got great intentions, just zero skill.  Saige was my little helper and all the prep went smoothly - but I will admit that the magazine that states prep time is 10 minutes clearly based that off of people who bake professionally.  It took me at least 30 minutes!  There weren't that many ingredients, just a lot of steps.

I should have known that things wouldn't go well right from the start when I realized I didn't have the right type of baking pan.  I figured a cake pan would work just fine - I mean, it's round right?  It sure looked pretty when I put it in the oven.

10 minutes later and I am smelling something burning.  Turns out all the butter is dripping out of the cake pan onto the elements and it smoking the place up.  My first thought is that I'm about to start a grease fire!  I grabbed a cookie sheet and opened the oven to stick it under to catch the rest of the drips.  Phew.  My second thought is that I'm about to set the smoke detectors off.  I opened the doors - keep in mind it is not that warm out right now.  I am distracted by the thought of the flock of birds in my back yard entering my house (it's happened before).  20 more minutes to cook and burn smoke.  It still looked yummy.

Fortunately I was saved by my logical husband - "why don't you preheat the second oven and switch it out", he says.  Hmm...he had a good point.  So I did just that.  I sat and watched it cook.  1 minute before the timer was set to go off, Addley yells that she needs help in the bathroom.  I left Scott in charge of the sticky buns.  The next thing I hear is "we have a bigger problem".  Turns out, he took the pan out and flipped it out onto a plate like the instructions on the recipe said to but it wasn't totally cooked on the bottom.  So, now there is no way to put it back in the pan so he sticks it in a heap on the cookie sheet that is crusted with burnt drippings.  Back into the oven.

Here is the end result:  looks nothing like the yummy picture in the magazine!  Addley didn't like it.  Dayton didn't like it.  I thought it was just okay but it really didn't taste like what I expected.  Scott didn't like it.  Saige is the only one that asked for more - but that kid will eat anything.

Now I have to hand clean the mess in the oven.  This is why I don't bake.


No comments: