Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hanalei Bay, Kauai

It seems I am finally getting around to adding more pictures  to the blog from our trip to Kauai.  If you have never visited, I highly recommend it.  Such a pristine and slow paced island.  When I moved from Canada to Southern Louisiana, it took me some time to adjust to the slower pace of life and relaxed attitude of the locals.  Weather dictates some of that Iʻm sure.  In Canada it is so darn cold all the time it is no wonder most are in a rush to get somewhere.  Quite the opposite in the south - the heat and humidity cause you to sweat before you even go outside and once out there you are overcome by this hot blanket that causes one to feel and move slower.  (at least that is one of my theories)  In Hawaii, life is just...well, different.  Hawaii is on its own time.  The locals have no concept of deadlines.  If someone here says they will be at your house at 9am, they really mean 10:30.  While most would say traffic is to blame (and while that is likely), I say it is just the way of life here.  When I say here, I mean on the island of Oahu (where we live).  Well, Kauai is even slower paced.  Even the wild chickens and roosters havenʻt a care in the world.  It was very easy to feel as though you were on vacation right away rather than need a day to "unwind".  You wonʻt see a lot of people in any of my pictures (even though our resort was at maximum capacity).  

An early morning picture of Hanalei Bay.

A zoomed shot of the coast on the far side of Hanalei Bay.

Low tide at the resort beach.  We always love hunting for shells and sea life during low tide.  We saw quite a few sting rays (babies) but I never managed to get a picture of one.

A shot from the beach during low tide.

The same shot with the tide coming in.  Very cool.

No comments: