Friday, March 11, 2011

The TsuMommy

Who knew that before falling asleep last night we would be under a tsunami warning?  Who knew that there would be so much devastation in so many places following that horrific earthquake in Japan?  The sirens started sounding off at 10pm last night and the news said to expect a significant tsunami about 3am.  While I knew that we would be under no immediate threat (we live about a mile in from the coast but we are WAY up high) I still was unable to sleep last night.  After seeing some of the aftermath footage in Japan, sleep was the last thing on my mind.  They said that from the time of the quake until the 23+ foot tsunami hit Japanʻs shores, the people only had about 15 minutes.  How scary.  Hawaii had plenty of warning.  On an island, you cannot help but be close to the ocean....unless you live in the middle.  I couldnʻt imagine being out somewhere with the children and experiencing an earthquake of 8.9 magnitude nevermind a tsunami 15 minutes later.  As much as I LOVE the beach and love the ocean, I am almost always on edge when there (if I have the kids with me).  Perhaps it is the pessimist in me, or the worry wart or perhaps it is just that "mama gene".  I am always wondering what my escape route would be if I had the 3 kids with me.  15 minutes given the right circumstances, can seem like an eternity...during a natural disaster that is nothing.
Fortunately, the kids slept through the hourly sirens.  Well, not Addley, but she doesnʻt sleep much anyhow.  Unfortunately for Scott and I, the sirens and the constant cell phone vibrations from worried friends and family kept us up.  It reminded me of hurricane Katrina days.  Statewide, schools were closed today.  Most kids would be excited, mine were disappointed.  They were supposed to be participating in Jump For Heart Day.  Dayton was asking a bunch of questions about the tsumommy.  He watched some of the news, and for a 5 year old, he was pretty stunned by the damage the ocean caused.  He kept saying "wow, that wave took over the whole town."  For any of our friends that may have friends or family affected by this disaster, our thoughts are with you and for any of our friends and family thinking of us, we thank you.






1 comment:

Lezlie said...

Thinking about you guys all day. Glad to know you guys were safe.